Friday, February 20, 2009

Health Savings by Popular Demand

As the economy is getting worse I have had many discussions with friends and family about ways to cut cost without cutting into our most important asset- our health. Usually when we get tight with money the first thing we want to cut is items related to our health. We cut back on healthy food, nutrition, vitamins, etc so we can afford heat, electric, mortgage, student loans, and clothing. I decided to start this blog because my husband insisted that I am the queen of good deals when it comes to our grocery shopping (thanks to coupons--Cassie's Ann arbor blog), product shopping, and clothing shopping. So I've set out to lead others in saving money in tough times and still being able to enjoy the simple pleasures while staying healthy. I have listed some links on the right side. If you live in the Ann Arbor area I highly recommend you take advantage of Cassie's blog as she post weekly deals at local grocery stores to get the most for you dollar. All others, I will post what I can to help you out.

A few quick tips:

Plan your meals based on what is on sale. Before you head to the grocery store look at the ads to see what is on sale. Then find coupons for those things on sale for additional savings. Don't purchase things you don't need, just because it is on sale. Also stock up on items you will use when it is on sale, especially if you have a coupon for it.

Purchase what you can organically. It is better for you and will help you stay healthier. I have listed some organic coupons on the right. Organic also generally has less sugar than other products.

Cleaning products- purchase something that will save you money in the long run. Most of the time the chemical based cleaners found in the grocery store not only are really bad for you, but you are paying for the packaging and paying for mostly water. Try to find a product that is in concentrated form. It will last longer, be better for you, and help cut back on the many bottles in landfills. Click here for get clean save green.

Buy small business- I am a big proposer of buying locally and through small businesses. Most of the things I purchase are either through my community or through friend's small businesses. This boost the economy better than buying from big corporations not to mention the quality is significantly better. Many companies send that money out of the country anyway. I have friends in many areas from skincare, make-up, nutrition, resale, to restaurants. Purchasing from one another actually cuts down cost significantly. If you own a small business, please let me know and I can create a small business list on here.

Hope that is enough to get you started, enjoy!